Re: WD HDs (was Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap...)

Re: WD HDs (was Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap...)

I did have a series of IBM 10K RPM SCSI dirve fail
after one to two year of constant use. These were all
9GB, built in Sept 99. IBM discontinued the particular
model by mid 2000. They still had a similar model, but
I think they fixed the original model's problem. We
had selected the IBM drives, as they ran cooler then
the Cheetahs we tested as well. The early cheetahs
died even earler. Heat does seem to be a signifigant
problem. I see about using the drive bay cooler that
is a 5 1/4" adapter for a 3 1/2" drive that has a fan
on the front of it.

Marc