Re: WD HDs (was Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap...)

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 02:08:13PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > i'd like to be able to boot using my own kernel if
> > possible to fix the problem.
>
> I have a backup plan even if my kernel gets hosed -- since I'm using the
> kernel right off of the CDROM, I know I can just boot the rescue image
> right off of the install CD!  I'll then restore the kernel, and I won't
> need to recompile because what's what I've been using all along!

That doesn't fly when you are looking at the machine via a remote serial
console and are 150 miles away; I like being able to boot a machine without
needing to stick a boot disk or CD-ROM into it just to get it to fly; this
is why I also keep around a tiny "miniroot" on /dev/hda2 with all the tools
I need to restore a toasted filesystem.

--
Don Werve <donw@examen.com>
Unix System Administrator

Plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens.