Re: WD HDs (was Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap...)

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> my AGP
> port isn't recognized by any kernel less than 2.4.10, so I need to recompile
> anyhow.

My AGP slot works fine.

> plus, i don't think 3dnow extensions get used unless you specify
> that your machine is an athlon under "general setup".

I got Pentium III.

> on top of that, i like having certain things built into my kernel.  just in
> case the worst happens and /lib/modules gets blown away,

/lib/modules is on the same partition as my kernel.  If the partition gets
blown away, so does my kernel; if I'm stupid enough to blow away
/lib/modules directory by accident... well, I'm not.

> or if for some reason, kmod dies,

Or if I see pigs flying outside my window...  (I do see occasional wild
turkeys so I guess you never know.  One time, I was going to work and I
saw 12 turkeys right on the front yard of the house across the
court.  And why are there so many deers here?  And why do they come out
only at nights when you can't see 'em?)

> i'd like to be able to boot using my own kernel if
> possible to fix the problem.

I have a backup plan even if my kernel gets hosed -- since I'm using the
kernel right off of the CDROM, I know I can just boot the rescue image
right off of the install CD!  I'll then restore the kernel, and I won't
need to recompile because what's what I've been using all along!

> for instance, if "shale happens"[1] it would be nice to have the scsi system
> built directly into the kernel

I don't use SCSI.  But if I were, I'd recompile the kernel, too.

> this is simply experience talking.

Me too!  In all my times of upgrading software and hardware, I noticed I
spend more time compiling, installing, and tweaking than necessary.  It
makes more sense to balance the activities so you get the most overall
productivity than keeping the system in a tip-top shape.

Like with my car, I don't wax it day-and-night, and I certainly don't care
too much about dings here and there, and I don't care about anyone eating
inside.  It's just an object to get me from here to there, not an object
of my worship; as long as it's maintained well internally, is safe, and
runs well, I'm a happy man.

Likewise with my computer, it's a tool to get my work done (and sometimes
help me get intoxicated by a world of wonders).  If it becomes more than
that (like if I actually opened up my system and oiled every pin on the
CPU to get the most performance), I should find better things to do.

Of course, if you find that recompiling the kernel gives you more
performance and makes you more productive overall, then you should go for
it.  It's just that I haven't found it to be productive in what I do.

> i have been in the situation where i
> wished a certain module was built directly into the kernel.

Me too.  SCSI modules, to be specific.  But I have no SCSI devices.

> and kernel
> modversioning under linux is in such a sorry state of affairs that insmod -f
> hardly ever works anymore.  :(

No need to force when you use built-in modules.  I do have the tv tuner
card modules, but these I get to compile and do it in such a short time
that when upgrading the kernel I can always recompile in a short time.  I
can also compile without kernel versioning, anyway.

> 1. trim whatever i don't use  (speed and size of kernel)

I don't notice the performance increase, and I got enough RAM to spare.

> 2. build vital stuff monolithically  (helps the worst case scenario)

Never had problems.  I can always use the install CD as the rescue disk.

> 3. make icing on the cake as dynamic modules  (speed and size of kernel)

Everything is modules :)  Well, almost.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim