Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap...

Personal use, I have returned 2 wd hard drives for warrantee/replacements with no issues and polite service.  Also, 2 Maxtor and now (today) 1 Seagate.

When I did Desktop support a while ago, the vast majority of the systems (IBM desktop's) had IBM and Western Digitals.  On a site with 6000 desktops, we kept 1-2 of each size drive in stock and did not see a significant amount of hard drive failures, save with one model on which a recall notice was issued.  I would suspect that you are just unlucky, or your supplier plays football with your drives.

Remember Backups are your only saving grace.  Fortunatly I had a recent backup on the home server of my wife's local files (paticularly all the graphic stuff she had recently done), otherwise I would have been dead meat when the fairly new Seagate drive failed completly.

On rebates, I have always gotten mine, I just NEVER plan on getting them in a timely fashion.

-sp