Re: WD HDs (was Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap...)

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:

> Ohmygod you're serious Pete?!

ROFL!

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > begin: John C. Alden <jcalden@ucdavis.edu> quote

> > > You're supposed to OIL these things? Sheesh, no one told me!
> >
> > well, not all machines.  you're only supposed to oil the really hot CPU's.
> > there's a couple of benefits:
> >
> > 1. because of the heat generated by cpu's, the cpu pins have a tendancy to
> >    oxidize against the walls of the pin inserts.  oiling the pins will help
> >    prevent cpu's from getting stuck.  particular socket type cpu's.

Especially in ZIF sockets.

> > 2. oil helps transfer the heat away from the CPU.  this also helps the cpu
> >    run faster.

Well, at least they slide across the table faster when you drop them.

> > 3. a light coating of oil also protects the CPU from dust and crud which gets
> >    trapped inside the case.

Its like, you know, aluminum.  It oxidizes instantly, creating a thin
protective film that prevents further oxidation.  Oh, and just this week
there is a special on...

> > for these reasons, it's highly recommended to apply a light coating of oil on
> > your cpu.  there are special oils made for the CPU.  if you have an AMD chip,
> > ONLY USE AMD APPROVED CPU OIL!!!
> >
> > the thing is, any light-weight cpu oil would work just as fine.  i personally
> > use normal cooking vegetable oil.  my guess is that something peanut oil
> > would probably be too heavy for this particular application.

I dunno... smells good, but goes rancid.  Use good old petroleum products
for longest-lasting results.

> > pete
> >
> > ps- oil also helps in the hot-swapping of IDE devices.

Hey!  This is a family show!

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing