Re: WD HDs (was Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap...)

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin: John C. Alden <jcalden@ucdavis.edu> quote
> > At 12:05 AM 10/26/01 -0700, you wrote:
> > >begin: Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org> quote
> > >
> > >it all goes into the equation of running a well-oiled system.
> > >
> > >pete
> >
> > You're supposed to OIL these things? Sheesh, no one told me!
>
> well, not all machines.  you're only supposed to oil the really hot CPU's.
> there's a couple of benefits:
>
> 1. because of the heat generated by cpu's, the cpu pins have a tendancy to
>    oxidize against the walls of the pin inserts.  oiling the pins will help
>    prevent cpu's from getting stuck.  particular socket type cpu's.

I should oil my memory also.

> 2. oil helps transfer the heat away from the CPU.  this also helps the cpu
>    run faster.

Is this how Intel got to 2GHz?

> for these reasons, it's highly recommended to apply a light coating of oil on
> your cpu.  there are special oils made for the CPU.  if you have an AMD chip,
> ONLY USE AMD APPROVED CPU OIL!!!

I didn't see any at Fry's.  :(  Does anyone want to get in on a special
order direct from AMD?  We can save on shipping.

> the thing is, any light-weight cpu oil would work just as fine.  i personally
> use normal cooking vegetable oil.  my guess is that something peanut oil
> would probably be too heavy for this particular application.

But you have an Athlon.  Aren't you violating the warranty by using just
veggie oil??

> ps- oil also helps in the hot-swapping of IDE devices.

Good idea.  It'll help get stubborn power connectors off.  If I open the
drive, I may be able to oil the spindle to make it run at 10000RPM.

:)  FL