January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] Students, cheating, mailing list, rules etc.

Re: [vox] Students, cheating, mailing list, rules etc.

hi mike,

begin: ME <dugan@passwall.com> quote
> Hello Linux Users,
>
> I have heard the discussion of what is considered acceptable when
> discussing source code on this list and the poster does not state they are
> not a student doing work for a class.
>
> Can anyone provide the general guidelines on this for this list?

well, despite being called a fascist by eric, i don't think i ever laid down
guidelines for this.

what i like telling people is:

ask yourself:

	you have already heard your professor's stance on acceptable outside help.
	if you think your question violates his/her policy, it probably does.  if
	you think your question is fair game, then it probably is.

particularly dull bulbs may reply:

   well, how do i KNOW whether my professor would think this is an
	appropriate question?

and the answer to this would be:

	ask your professor.  get him to further define what is appropriate use of
	help.  make sure you understand his/her policy.  and keep asking until you
	fully understand it.

this puts the onus of remaining "legal" on the student.  i don't think we've
ever had a problem with this.  and it the only thing we can do, other than
banning all help with classes, but i don't like that option.

some people have gotten all pissed off at me for reminding posters of
homework questions that they need to remain within their prof's guidelines.
but that's ok; i'm used to people getting pissed off at me.  i'd rather have
a cs student pissed off at me for reminding him to remain within the prof's
guidelines than an irrate prof who wants to know why lugod is helping his
students to cheat.

:-)

this is an important question; we should probably solidify a policy and make
it available on the lugod website....

pete

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002