Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap...

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:06:15PM -0700, Patrick B. Lickiss wrote:
> The scam is very simple...Western Digital makes some of the least reliable
> drives I've ever used.  I, for one, would much rather pay the extra money
> and get something that's not going to make a rather unpleasant clunking
> noise when I turn the computer on after having used the drive for 3 months.
> I've actually lost three WD drives to this same problem, all different sizes
> and different models.  Not only to their drives suck, but their customer
> service is laughable.  In short, I think people are figuring this out
> finally and that's why WD has such huge rebates, to try and drum up new
> business.

I'm the opposite; I've had quite good luck with both WD drives and their
customer service.  Although I've had a drive fail (due more to the stupidity
of certain relatives rather than the lack of quality), WD was more than
happy to take the drive back under warranty, and the RMA process was fairly
painless.

Classic case of YMMV.

--
Don Werve <donw@examen.com>
Unix System Administrator

Plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens.