Re: [vox] wolfenstein linux server

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Gabriel Rosa wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > anyone here have any luck setting up the linux dedicated server?
> > or even finding any documentation on it?

If this is the new Wolfenstein that is coming out (not Castle Wolfenstein
(2d) Beyond Castle Wolfennstein (2d), Wolfenstein 3d (first person 3d
shoot'em up), but is instead the new Wolfenstein (Return to Castle
Wolfenstein?) (rumored $10 million? from a guy who gave a presentation on
the gaming companies) I heard that they were using the Quake 2 engine. If
this is the case, they might be using the Quake2 servers or modifications
of those servers for network games. Searches for intersections of those
two values or variations on those two values may turn up some results for
you.

Are you testing their newest product for Linux? If so, opinions?

Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
> If you have no freedom to specify network interfaces in the application
> configuration, then you may have to reassign your physical network
> interfaces to their logical counterparts.  How this would be done would
> depend on the cards present... if they use the same driver, and are 3com
> and/or PCI-based, you may not be able to do that.  If they use different
> drivers, you can see that the driver modules are loaded in reverse order,
> or if the cards are the same and the driver arguments are card-specific
> (typically ISA) then you can change the arguments to the driver.
>
> Might be easier to swap cables. :)

One thing that I have used for cards of the same model, is the append eth
settings in the lilo.conf with expliciit IRQ referecnes for each eth and
proper names eth0, eth1 as I desire them. Seems to work, but I may have
just been lucky.

in /etc/lilo.conf
append="ether=IRQ,IO,ethX ether=IRQ,IO,ETHX"
Where IRQ is the hardware interrupt, IO is the IO port like 0x310 and ETHX
is the interface like eth0. Use of "0" (zero) for IRQ or IO means that the
kernel should autoprobe. Being Lazy, I just chose the manually assigned
IRQs, and left the IO as "0"

The reason for doing this is I have 5 ethernet cards in the same box, and
I wanted them to always come up the same way - even if I added another
card. (2 NE2000, 3 3Com).

Jeff's suggestion is a great idea since you can probably do it without
restarting your OS if you know what you are doing, and has other
advantages over the one I outlined.

-M