Re: [vox] rune

it's pretty awesome.

the 1st part is very rpg like, but set in norse mythos.  very cool.
the 2nd part of the game is a bit disappointing; it's more like tomb raider
  than anything else.  it's fun, but there's nothing particularly "norsical"
  about it.  lots of strange animals and plants.  no real enemy to speak of.
the 3rd part (where i am) is just too awesome to describe.

in the 3rd part, you are at the bottom of hell, (or more accurately, hel) and
need to climb/battle/sneak your way back to the land of the living.  hel in
norse mythos is not a place where evil people go, but where dishonored souls
go.  very much like gre'thor for the klingons.   it's more eerie than
gruesome.

when you turn out all the lights and crank up the volume, it's really easy to
lose yourself in the game.

anyway, it's definitely worth the play.

pete

ps- i was hoping to get some help with a particular puzzle when i originally
 posted that email.  i've since figured it out.  :)

pps- the only bad mark the game gets is because they pronounce the "j" in
 names like jarl.  i'm pretty sure it should've been pronouced with a "y".

begin: Micah Cowan <micah@cowanbox.com> quote
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 07:29:34PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > is anyone playing rune?
> >
> > pete
>
> I own Rune; it demands at least 512MB of total memory (combined
> physical and swap - on Linux 2.4.x it's total swap).  I didn't have
> nearly that much swap on my HD, so it would crash consistently before
> I could get to the second level (often before I could even start the
> first).  I bought a new HD recently, and took care to put a huge swap
> on there, but I haven't had the chance to play it since then.
>
> Micah

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002