Re: [vox] [Fwd: [seul-edu] looking for fonts for teaching handwriting]

Re: [vox] [Fwd: [seul-edu] looking for fonts for teaching handwriting]

stephen,

begin: Stephen M. Helms <Mytho_X@pacbell.net> quote
> Hello,

hi!

> This is a forward from the Simple End User's Linux educational mail list
> (SEUL-edu)
>
> I am actually interested if anyone in our group has an anwer for this as
> I would like to use the font to help my children write better.  Please
> Cc: Jeremy as well on responses as he is not on this list.
>
> Thank you,
> Stephen

the canonical sans-serif font is arial.  espeically if you own windows.  ;)
helvetica is an open source version of MS arial.  lucida is also a popular
sans serif font.

> I think the cursive typeface is called "D'Nealian".

i have a bunch of them, but they're all non-free (and i'd have to spend some
time searching gimp.  look at an MS installation.  i'm sure they have some).
also, check out the link i give below.   with a little effort, there's ALOT
of fonts available for free download on the net.   do a google and deja
search.  i went through a period of 4 weeks of hogging all the TT fonts i can
get my hands on.  ended up with quite a collection.  chances are, you'll find
what you're looking for.

> Does anyone know where I can get some fonts for teaching handwriting?

not quite sure what a desirable trait for a font would be to be a good
teaching font.

> These fonts would need to scale well, so they can printed large on paper.
> Preferably the typefaces should be available for X so I can view them, and
> for postscript so I can print them. (I guess I should be able to convert
> them myself.)

sounds like you've just described true type fonts.   :-)

TT support is now *native* in X.  there's no need to run programs like xfstt
and xfxstsbs (or whatever it's called) on a local port to serve fonts.  X4
does it all by itself.  :)

> Or does anyone know of any tools (hopefully X-based) for creating my own
> typefaces?

good luck.   the canonical way to make fonts is via metafont, written
by none other than donald k. knuth himself, author of tex and the "art of
programming".   metafont is one of the most powerful tools ever created for
font making.  but it's also difficult to use.  there's a book called "the
metafont book".  that would prolly be your starting point.  there are also
tutorials on the web, but i think you may want to start with the book.  it's
a tough subject.

i did some research.  check out:

http://www.matchfonts.com/

apparently, they have fonts for learning hand writing.

if you find any font authoring tools besides metafont, i would be interested
in knowing about them.

peter

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002