Re: [vox] Linux hits a grand slam at home

Re: [vox] Linux hits a grand slam at home

But, by everyone running their own copy, you can't corrupt anyone elses, or vice versa.  Each customer can tailor their copy of Linux.  The ISP can control what percent of virtual resources can be allocated to each virtual server. Kinda hard to allocate 1.5 real CPU's to an operating system, simple for virtual servers.  So you get almost infinitely scaleable, safe, and manageable.  It's all about "able's".

- Don

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Foo Lim wrote:

> Reuters isn't the most technically correct news agency in the biz, but the
> article says something about this "one computer" has 500 "virtual Linux
> servers" which could be added on the fly.  What do they mean by a virtual
> Linux server?  Anyway, it's nice to see a fairly large ISP "upgrade."

IBM's been doing the "virtual linux server" thing for a while.  Kind of
like running a bunch of VMWare on one machine so you can run several
copies of Linuxes on one machine... isn't it?  But if you're
splitting the same hardware resources among several copies of the same
OS, you just end up using the resources less efficiently; it'd be better
to just run one copy of the OS and have it manage the resources
itself.  You do get to show off the numbers so people can go "ahhhh...".

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/