[vox] sound editor recommendation

I'm looking for a sound editor for Linux (to edit sampled audio; eg WAVEs)
and nothing I've tried works:

  Glame - Crashes on WAVE import
  Wavesurfer - Tcl-based, requires tons of crap
  DAP - Didn't seem to have any useful filters
  KWave - Couldn't compile
  Sweep - Buggy and no useful filters
  Gnoise - Didn't seem to DO anything (like, most of the interface not
    implemented or something?!)
  ecawave - Based on Qt, which is having issues (antialiasing-related)
    so it dies immedialtely
  sox - I'd rather stab my eyeballs with red-hot needles
  gears - Crashes; when it does work, no useful filters
  xforge - Couldn't compile
  waveforge - Crashes when I try to load a file

Name anything on freshmeat that's related to editing WAVE files, and I've
probably tried it...

This is so absolutely frustrating to me.  A few of these projects look
really promising (Glame, ecawave, waveforge), but the fact that I've had
NO success with ANY of them is very discouraging.

Does anyone have any recommendations?  (ie, a program you use and which works)
I've got No Starch's "Linux Music & Sound" in front of me, and thankfully
it has a whole chapter on sample editors.  So tomorrow some time I'll
be trying out:

  Slab
  Multitrack
  Mix

One of them had better work, or I swear, I'm gonna cry!!!!

-bill!
(done venting... feel better... can go to bed now :) )