Re: [vox] irc question

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, William Kendrick wrote:
> I think I've discovered that many IRC servers just timeout and let you
> in anyway, if you can't get through due to identd not being available.
> I don't know anything about how IRC works, though, so take this with
> a grain of salt. :)
>
> I know that since we got DSL (and I'm logging into IRC from a firewalled LAN)
> connecting to a server can take up to a minute (with not much in the way
> of progress or ETA from the IRC client).  Normal connection (eg, from
> a shell at my ISP, or back when we had PPP dialup) would be fairly
> instantaneous.

If you have set up firewall rules with linux and ip chains, did you enable
a blanket "DENY" or as the default for ports/ranges unless otherwise
specified earlier?

If so, why not add an entry for port 113 (auth/ident) to REJECT instead of
DENY. I think REJECT tells them "service not available" while DENY does
nothing to let them know and they you must wait until their tcp request
times out on their server.

I'd like to know if that helps you. :-)

-ME