Re: [vox] irc question

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 10:08:50AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> is there any way to connect to the lugod irc server without having to install
> identd?   i'd really rather not have identd on my system.

I think I've discovered that many IRC servers just timeout and let you
in anyway, if you can't get through due to identd not being available.
I don't know anything about how IRC works, though, so take this with
a grain of salt. :)

I know that since we got DSL (and I'm logging into IRC from a firewalled LAN)
connecting to a server can take up to a minute (with not much in the way
of progress or ETA from the IRC client).  Normal connection (eg, from
a shell at my ISP, or back when we had PPP dialup) would be fairly
instantaneous.