Re: [vox] Privacy Policy Tirade - - with thoughts of improvement by open

Re: [vox] Privacy Policy Tirade - - with thoughts of improvement by open community

begin: Donald Dunn <VNDDUNN@lottery.state.ca.us> quote

(snip)

> Now, let me do something effective and change direction. What do people think of developing some "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval" for companies that have respectful privacy policies?  This logo could be displayed if a company meets a standard lsuch as:  privacy policy will not be altered w/o emailing, and allowing customers to opt out of their logon, thereby not allowing data sharing for them.  Other criteria should apply, no spamming, no 3rd party sharing, etc.  This could be developed by a standards group and use to certify sites that meet these rules.
>
> Thoughts?

it's a great idea; if it hasn't been done yet, it needs to be done.  i'm not
sure most companies would put this on their site.  i think a more realistic
idea would be to keep a databse of "privacy friendly" commerce sites.

btw, amazon.com is guilty of doing exactly this.  at first, their privacy
statement said they wouldn't share their customer database with anyone under
any circumstances.  then they added the clause "this policy may change in the
future".  at this point, last i checked, you can't even "opt-out" of having
your info shared with them.

when i saw this, i never bought from them again.

pete

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002