January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] Linux equivalent to PageMaker?

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 09:44:31AM -0700, Marianne Waage wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 09:56:22PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Allan Hollander wrote:
> > > http://www.math.hawaii.edu/~ralph/MathOnWeb/TeXPDF.html.
> >
> > Hmm... that's interesting.  From what it describes, as long as it displays
> > well on the screen and prints well on the printer, you're using Type1
> > fonts, right?  Well, it so happens using `pdflatex` (rather than a ps to
> > pdf distiller) produces a pdf file that looks really nice, on screen and
> > on paper.  It's worth a try.  If that's not good, give a long shot to
> > `dvipdfm` (search on Freshmeat).

Not necessarily. The fonts may be bitmapped (Type 3 fonts) at high
resolution, e.g., 600dpi. I don't know what pdflatex uses, but its output
works well on xpdf and acrobat, whereas dvips -> pstopdf does not.

Also try 'pslatex', which uses the Adobe Times family instead of Computer
Modern.

There is a program called Scribus that looks like a promising tool to do
stuff traditionally handled by PageMaker or similar software:

	http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/scri_en.html

--
Henry House