Re: [vox] Linux equivalent to PageMaker?

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 09:56:22PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Allan Hollander wrote:
> > http://www.math.hawaii.edu/~ralph/MathOnWeb/TeXPDF.html.
>
> Hmm... that's interesting.  From what it describes, as long as it displays
> well on the screen and prints well on the printer, you're using Type1
> fonts, right?  Well, it so happens using `pdflatex` (rather than a ps to
> pdf distiller) produces a pdf file that looks really nice, on screen and
> on paper.  It's worth a try.  If that's not good, give a long shot to
> `dvipdfm` (search on Freshmeat).

Well, it could display well on the screen and on the printer and still
be a raster image.  It would just need to be a 150-300 dpi image. :)
But if you scaled the image, it would still look pixely.  I'm surprised
that any converter to ps or pdf would rasterize all the vectors.  Seems
like that defeats the purpose of the format...

-yamara
 yamara.plush.org