Re: [vox] miracle on alvarado ave

On 14 Sep 2001 13:44:48 -0700, Eric Engelhard wrote:
> William Kendrick wrote:
> >
> > I ... Have... DSL!!!!!!!!!
> [snip]
>
> Mine came back on yesterday, also. Recap:
>
> 1. PacBell neglected to update Sagres billing address even though they
> received two notices.
> 2. My enhanced home account was shut down.
> 3. It took 9 phone calls and 15 days to reactivate the service.
> 4. It took me 30 seconds to discover that they gave me a dynamic
> account.
> 5. It took an additional three phone calls and 9 days to get a due date
> for an upgrade to the original type of account.
> 6. It took another two calls to get my IP addresses.
> 7. It took 30 seconds to verify that the aforementioned addresses did
> not work. Offices closed for the day.
> 8. It took an additional two calls the following day to verify that the
> account was in fact not upgraded.
> 9. The situation demanded a final conference call with a tech and a
> business rep to get the account upgraded.
> 10. Services restored after 18 calls and 24 days.
>
> Let me emphasize that PacBell was entirely at fault for the service
> stoppage. SBC made two errors, which caused additional delays. No one
> ever apologized or in any way indicated that they valued me as a
> customer. As a matter of fact, even after understanding that the error
> was PacBell's, they still wanted to fine Sagres (a special "fee",
> because we "failed to pay our bill). This is how they treat a company
> with a voice super trunk, a T1, and multiple home DSLs.
>
> ...but thanks to Bill, I now can use gimp to morph the PacBell logo into
> Satan and back again (with cool timing steps). Somewhat satifying.
>
> --
> Eric Engelhard

Yuck....I was one of those Northpoint victems, woke up to a flashing
modem one day, and as you know the rest is history. Been using AT&T
cable modem, been really good. Current uptime on my server is 85 days,
not bad.

But, moving to Davis tomorrow and have ordered DSL through Sonic.net,
which in turn goes through PacBell. Only have static through sonic and 4
IP's for free, and they waive installation if you can handle inserting
your own nic...That saves $200.

Hopefully I won't have too many problems, apart from abotu a month
down...