[vox] Debian on Laptop

Hey all, at the last installfest Pete helped me put Debian 2.2 on my
inherited Toshia 430 CDT.  Everything's been working fine, but I hadn't
had a chance to test out X.  This evening I loaded X and was surprised to
find that the pointing stick didn't work.  The cursor starts in the middle
of the screen and the second I touch the pointing stick, the cursor jumps
to the bottom of the screen, and will only move right to left.
Additionally, the cursor jumps in about three steps from the right to the
left of the screen.  I closed down the computer and rebooted with a normal
mouse plugged into the PS/2 port on the back of the laptop.  The same
thing happened.  I'm open to any ideas, please let me know what you guys
think.  Thanks a lot.

Patrick