Re: [vox] [ot] Enterprise?

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin: Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us> quote
> > On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > > begin: William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> quote
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > it's called a "TV show" because it shows a story.  look at the hitchhiker's
> > > guide.  i mean, arthur dent wakes up, and 15 minutes later the earth gets
> > > destroyed.  is that any better?   :-)
> >
> > Talk about overkill... storytelling doesn't doesn't get any better. :)
> > Well, at least in the radio show...  The TV show didn't impress me.
>
> if you're talking about hitchhiker, the bbc show actually put me to sleep!
> literally!

Different tastes, I guess.  There are several layers of commentary running
through the sound track... each time I listen to it I catch more of the
background bits.

> > > nah.  that's what makes sci fi buffs, sci fi buffs.  :)   we love sci-fi
> > > themes, and "bad guys from the future" is a dang good one!
> >
> > Try Ursula LeGuin (The Dispossessed), or Stanslaw Lem (Solaris), bill.
> > Just doesn't make saleable prime-time fare.
>
> i just saw the dispossessed in a book store a few weeks ago.  i'm a big
> earthsea fan, although the last book was not so hot.   i also just saw yet
> another earthsea book that she just wrote.  i'm waiting for the paperback.

Earthsea is pretty conventional in its treatment of good vs. bad.  The
books I mentioned are sci-fi in a very different mode.  Kind of like
"Babe" vs. "Animal Farm".

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing