Re: [vox] Pre-Linux Question

Tom Porter wrote:

> I have a friend who might be inclined to switch to Linux (Stability) if
>  he could run his Accounting Program (He IS a Professional Tax
> Proparer)

While it may not suit his immediate needs, he may be
interested in Sql-Ledger (http://www.sql-ledger.org/).

> I believe I have heard at the Meeting that there is a way to Run Window
>  Programs in Linux... How is this done? Any 'special' steps required
> for  him to do this?

There are a few ways. Some that come to mind are:

* VMware (http://www.vmware.com/).

* There's also something called Win4Lin that I've not tried.

* The Wine project provides an environment that can run
many Windows apps under Linux.

* He could scrounge up another computer as a Linux
application server and login to it from the Windows PC
(look up VNC as a cool/cheap solution there).

* Or he can just dual boot.

Check freshmeat.net to track down any of the above.

-- Rod
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/