January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] [ot] Enterprise?

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 11:30:37AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
<snip>

> i'm trying to see the point here.  would you have prefered the show to end by
> catching a glimpse of the enterprise leaving dock?

In fact, YES!  I would've loved WAY more back story than the 30 seconds
of sepia flashbacks of RC spaceships and that lame excuse for a Cochran
speech.

> or perhaps they should've ended the show by finishing up the building
> of the enterprise.

Why not!?  Honestly, I would've been MUCH more interested and
compelled.

<snip>
> it's called a "TV show" because it shows a story.  look at the hitchhiker's
> guide.  i mean, arthur dent wakes up, and 15 minutes later the earth gets
> destroyed.  is that any better?   :-)

Yeah, but he doesn't meet EVERY character he ends up with all in the
same episode!

<snip>
> > Q was bad enough...
>
> q's not from the future.  he's from the past, present and future.

Exactly. ;)  And I'm sure he'll pop up in Enterprise.  But you know what?
It had better be subtle.  I mean, sure, they as writers can do whatever
they want or need to, and since it's time travel, you can change whatever
you want and you have a valid excuse (timeline change :) ), but as a
viewer, that gets REALLY frustrating. :( :( :(

<snip>
> the borg went into the past.   don't dis the borg!  the borg are the biggest,
> baddest, most terrific enemy that any sci fi writer has ever dreamed up.

I still wonder why, although the Borg has supposedly assimilated countless
races and cultures, they all seem to be white people with no pointy
ears or ridges on their noses. ;)

<snip>
> uhhhh, bill?  don't you watch dr. who?  do you want us to start listing all
> the baddies from dr. who which came from the future?

Hehe, well Dr. Who is a hokey time-travel SHOW.  And frankly, it's more
diverse than Star Trek has proven to be since TOS ended. :(

> some of us *really* enjoyed this episode!!  sorry you hated it so much!  :(

I didn't HATE it... I was just disappointed.  Many people I've spoken
to who WEREN'T disappointed were just EXPECTING it to be worse. ;)

Anyway, it doesn't matter.. it's sci-fi.. it's Star Trek.. I'll watch it.
I'll just grumble to myself like I've been doing since DS9 ;)