Re: [vox] Disturbing copyright

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> can that be right?  what about text that has no copyright (like this one).
> i thought that copyright took place when you place the copyright notice on
> the text.

You could not copyright something that was authored by someone else
under a contract (as books are).
Public domian does not work that way. It may very well be that the
galley/manuscript was/is copyright an earlier date and that the print
run left the press sooner than expected, and was released with the cp
date unchanged.

> really?  that's even more odd, since music is usually written a considerable
> amount of time before the artist even commits the work to tape...

But that materiual still has to be run through a music rights group
(i.e. SOCAN, ASCAP) otherwise its just shit you wrote on a napkin or
music sheet somewhere.

Joseph Estevao Arruda	|	www.valinux.com
Corporate Alchemist	|	www.sourceforge.net
VA Linux Systems	|	www.linux.com