Re: [vox] Got DSL!

On Thursday 20 September 2001 12:52 am, you wrote:
> Mark K. Kim wrote:
> >So far, I think Verizon is so much better than PacBell.  I'm glad I'm in
> >Novato :)
> >
> >-Mark
>
> Gotta luv that DSL.  I had nightmares getting DSL installed (at
> my house) from PacHell.  Once it was I booted to Winblows (first
> time in months) I had it running in about an hour.  I learned
> that if you even tell them you have Linux they want to send a tech
> to your house and install it for you (for something like $150). I
> told them I use Micro$hafted and tried to get the necessary details
> to make it work in Linux.  A complete waste of time!  Use the
> news groups.  After patching the kernel's DEC Tulip driver for
> the no name card they use, reconfiguring my LAN, my firewall,
> etc., three days later Linux was online.
>
> I leave mine on 24/7 but PacHell drops me 2-3 times a month
> for upto 16 hours at a time.  Of course there network status page
> never lists anything wrong and I've already mentioned their
> (lack of) tech support line so I never know what happened.  I'd
> be curious to see the log files for a Verizon DSL (as well as an
> Earthlink - if anyone out there has one) connection.  What is
> your uptime? Quality of support? etc.
>
> Regards,
> Tres

I have mine from mother.com/cal.net and it was a breeze setting it up under
linux.  The basic package from them is a no bulshit setup that is just like
any lan internet access setup.  There was no crappy software, just a bunch of
network config data to enter in Windows networking steup and linuxconf.
Support is good but it's not 24/7. I've had it for a month and only had a few
hours of downtime.