Re: [vox] Got DSL!

Mark K. Kim wrote:

>So far, I think Verizon is so much better than PacBell.  I'm glad I'm in
>Novato :)
>
>-Mark

Gotta luv that DSL.  I had nightmares getting DSL installed (at
my house) from PacHell.  Once it was I booted to Winblows (first
time in months) I had it running in about an hour.  I learned
that if you even tell them you have Linux they want to send a tech
to your house and install it for you (for something like $150). I
told them I use Micro$hafted and tried to get the necessary details
to make it work in Linux.  A complete waste of time!  Use the
news groups.  After patching the kernel's DEC Tulip driver for
the no name card they use, reconfiguring my LAN, my firewall,
etc., three days later Linux was online.

I leave mine on 24/7 but PacHell drops me 2-3 times a month
for upto 16 hours at a time.  Of course there network status page
never lists anything wrong and I've already mentioned their
(lack of) tech support line so I never know what happened.  I'd
be curious to see the log files for a Verizon DSL (as well as an
Earthlink - if anyone out there has one) connection.  What is
your uptime? Quality of support? etc.

Regards,
Tres