Re: [vox] forget my previous post

The processor was a box retail, came with AMD's supplied heat sink and
processor fan.  I did remove the plastic film before I put the heat sink
on.  Is the one they supply inadequate?  Should I buy a different
one?  Also, someone mentioned that once the heat sink is removed and
another one's reapplied, the thermal conductivity is ruined.  Is there any
way to fix that?

I'm leaving the case open from now on and that seems to have me running
around 55 degrees or so, but it'll creep up to 60 if I play any
games.  Actually, as of this morning, it's running at a steady 49 (but it
was cold this morning so that'll probably rise).  The RPMS on the CPU fan
run at a pretty constant 4500 RPMs.  The case I bought didn't have a fan
but it has room for about 3.  Guess I just need to slap a few fans in there
and everything should be okay.  Won't be the most quiet machine on the
block, but I ain't complainin', I managed to get the whole machine for
under $700 >:-p.  Still, I'd read somewhere that between 40 and 45 was
ideal and I can't see it going that low with just a few fans.

Also my GeForce2 MX-400 runs like a fireball too.  If I touch the heat sink
it nearly burns me.  I was alarmed when I discovered this, but I found an
article on the net that says those chips run on average somewhere between
50 and 60 degrees Celsius, which is fine.  Funny thing is, it's enough to
burn you.  Another funny thing is my processor was running at about that
temp (according to Asus Probe) and its heat sink never felt nearly as
hot.  I've always been able to touch it and keep my finger there.  Should I
get a fan for the GeForce?  Unfortunately the AGP slot is the closest slot
to the CPU and there's no way to move that :-p.

My Board is an Asus A7A266 and I read a review somewhere that the
temperature probe on it wasn't the most accurate.

Actually, I've been using Asus Probe for all of my hardware monitoring in
Winbloze, but I downloaded that linux monitor last night and tried it
out.  It's great, but I'll need to compile and run lm_sensor for the
hardware monitoring in it to work.  I'll try that tonight and see how it
goes.  Right now it just monitors CPU/Mem/Disk utilization.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!  Lordy, I probably should have moved this
over to vox-tech.  Ah well.

At 11:15 PM 9/24/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > begin: Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> quote
> > >
> > > Sorry, I meant "between the heatsink and CPU".
> > > It's been a long day.
> >
> > heh.  i made the mistake of not peeling the film off the first time i
> saw it.
> > the cpu kept overheating.  wasn't until i took the computer apart and
> saw the
> > compound "squeezed" from the edges of the clear film.
> >
> > btw, my compound was pink.  :)
>
>You're lucky the heatsink still xferred enough heat off the CPU.  Did you
>read the tomshardware.com article testing how Intel & AMD CPUs did after a
>heat sink was removed from a running chip?  AMD failed miserably in that
>aspect.  It took seconds before one of the chips started smoking.
>
> > sam, i agree fully with rod and foo.  my processor is pretty steady at 54.
> > when quake3 has been going for awhile, it gets up to 58.  but nothing more.
>
>BTW, what do you use to measure the temp while in Linux?  I've only been
>able to use the VIA monitor in Windoze that was provided on the mobo CD.
>Are you using this?  http://web.wt.net/~billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html
>
> > pete
>
>FL

Sam Peterson