Re: [vox] forget my previous post

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin: Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> quote
> > I wrote:
> > > (b) the thermal compound between the fan and heatsink
> > > is applied properly...
> >
> > Sorry, I meant "between the heatsink and CPU".
> > It's been a long day.
>
> heh.  i made the mistake of not peeling the film off the first time i saw it.
> the cpu kept overheating.  wasn't until i took the computer apart and saw the
> compound "squeezed" from the edges of the clear film.
>
> btw, my compound was pink.  :)

You're lucky the heatsink still xferred enough heat off the CPU.  Did you
read the tomshardware.com article testing how Intel & AMD CPUs did after a
heat sink was removed from a running chip?  AMD failed miserably in that
aspect.  It took seconds before one of the chips started smoking.

> sam, i agree fully with rod and foo.  my processor is pretty steady at 54.
> when quake3 has been going for awhile, it gets up to 58.  but nothing more.

BTW, what do you use to measure the temp while in Linux?  I've only been
able to use the VIA monitor in Windoze that was provided on the mobo CD.
Are you using this?  http://web.wt.net/~billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html

> pete

FL