Re: [vox] forget my previous post

Sorry, forgot to ask in my last post.

I just built a new athlon 1.4Ghz system myself.  This is the first time I'd
done anything like this.  Everything seems to run smoothly, except my
processor is running like a fireball!  62 degrees Celsius on average and
it'll creep up to 70 if I really tax the processor.  This over 140-150
degrees Fahrenheit.

I figure this can't be good and I'm wondering what options (besides
sticking a few more fans into the case) I have.  Could it be poor contact
between the heat sink and the processor?

Also, I have a 64MB GeForce2 400/MX.  It's probably nothing compared to
Pete's, but I'll see if (when I get linux up and running on the new box) I
can benchmark it.  Will let us know how much better Pete's card
is >;-).  Yes, I know the nVidia chips aren't the most linux/open source
friendly, but it was a decent price for the card and I didn't want to break
the bank.

At 04:18 PM 9/24/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>begin: William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> quote
> > On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 04:06:32PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > begin: Zach Johnson <zjohnson@math.ucdavis.edu> quote
> > >
> > > resolution: 1024x768
> > > bitdepth:   24
> >
> > Damn!  What FPS would you get at 16bbp???
>
>just checked it out.  you're not going to believe this -- 1100 fps at the
>same resolution and window size.
>
>i suck even more, don't i?   ;*>
>
>come on, nvidia lovers.  captain open source is ready to take you on!!!
>
>pete
>
>--
>"You may not use the Software in connection with any site that disparages
>Microsoft, MSN, MSNBC, Expedia, or their products or services ..."
>                     -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002

Sam Peterson
Hart Interdisciplinary Programs
2201 Hart Hall
University of California, Davis