[vox] Report from Linux10

Melissa and I trekked out to Sunnyvale today to take part in the
"Linux10" picnic/BBQ, one of about 15 world-wide events that were
held today to celebrate the Linux kernel's 10th birthday!

The event was superbly organized by folks from SVLUG, sbay.org and EBLUG.
It was a shame that more people didn't show up, though.  Supposedly, they
had reached their RSVP limit over a week ago, but it seemed like not
everyone who RSVP'd was able to actually make it.

Food was free and plentiful... from veggies and fruit to burgers, dogs and
veggie burgers, to donuts.  The weather was great, and the park had a
kind of mesh canopy over the main set of benches.  Folks also set up tarps
to help add to the shade.

I saw quite a few familiar faces...  Ajay Tallam, Joe Arruda, Chris DiBona
(and his three month old daughter - congratulations!), Rick Moen,
Heather Stern, Paul from OpenCountry, and quite a few folks I always seem
to bump into during and after SVLUG meetings.

I also had the pleasure of meeting the fellow who runs No Starch Press
(the folks who just published "Programming Linux Games," which a bunch of
us are ordering from Loki - talk to Pete Salzman to see if you can still
join in the order).

One fellow I saw (who works at Netscape) had an "anti-Tux" tatooed on his
arm.  (It's pretty much what you'd get if you crossed Tux and the devil...
or at the very least, John Cleese as the wizard "Tim...?" from
"The Holy Grail"... nice big curly ram horns :) )

Anyway, unfortunately, the post-picnic gathering didn't seem to be
happening.  Many folks had already taken off around 6pm (when cleanup was
happening), and quite a few were going to the CABAL meeting.
Melissa was tired, and I didn't want us to be the only two folks
'partying about Linux' at some local pub, so we headed right back
to Davis.

All in all, it was a successful event.  I'm sorry more folks around here
didn't make it.  But don't worry, I spread quite a few "LUGOD" biz-cards
around while I was there. :)

-bill!
BTW, for those wondering... No... I do NOT have DSL yet.  I finally gave
in and let Gabe install a 56.6k modem on Melissa's system.  Do you
realize /how long/ it takes to `apt-get upgrade' 4 month's worth of new
software on one of these primitive devices!? :)  WHEW!