Re: [vox] debian question

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 11:52:54PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin: Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> quote
> >
> > chipset. In short, you need to coerce xinit to start a particular binary
> > instead of /etx/X11/X. Some xinits have a argument syntax just for this :-).
>
> not to sound like a broken record, but i'm not interested in coercing
> anything.  i don't have the time or inclination.  if i can't do it in under 5
> minutes, i'm not interested.  i've got more important things to do than to
> play with wine.  it's really not that important to me.

Well if you are restrictiing yourself to solutions that can be done in under
five minutes then you are out of luck for now.

As for when XF864.1 will enter woody, I doubt it will happen before woody is
frozen. Judging by recent messages on debian-x (debian's xf86 maintainers'
list), there are still a lot of kinks being worked out.

NB I'm not telling you to compile X, but that if you can find a precompiled
binary (ftp.xfree86.org has them), you can stick it in /usr/local/bin and
most likely run it manually without any changes to your existing /usr/X11R6.
Of course this will not help if you need new X libs; it was not clear your
your message whether you needed new libs or new server.

--
Henry House