Re: [vox] debian question

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 10:10:53AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> thought of that.  this has the same problem as what the paragraph below
> talks about -- basically, i have woody libraries.  i would be willing to bet
> money that compiling 4.1.0 would require updating them.  even worse, doing
> it this way wouldn't tell me which packages need to be updated (as opposed to
> just taking the X package from sid which would tell me what needs to be
> updated).  i'd have to *gasp* look it up on debian's website.
> and i'm lazy.  8-)

Add -u to your apt-get command and you will see what packages are to be
upgraded.

Btw you can upgrade the X server seperately from the X libraries, or just
install a totally separate X server binary in /usr/local (XF864 modules
complicate this though). I've done it before to use a bleeding-edge X server
on my Mac a few years ago before distros had good support for its video
chipset. In short, you need to coerce xinit to start a particular binary
instead of /etx/X11/X. Some xinits have a argument syntax just for this :-).

--
Henry House