Re: [vox] debian question

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 12:35:51PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 09:08:04AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >> i'd like to update wine, but it appears i have to wait until X gets
> >> bumped up to 4.1.0 in woody.
> >
> > Or do what I did - compile and install by hand.  :)
> >
> > Micah
>
> Yeah we just had that discussion.  Pete doesn't want to
> mess up his package management.
>
> However I was just thinking... surely there's a way to
> install 4.1 into a different set of directories, so that
> 4.0 is not touched?
>
> I'd be interested to hear from anyone who tries that.

Yeah, I posted before reading that.

FWIW, I hope I never get so dedicated to my distro that I'll stick to
the confines of its cathedral-like packaging/directory system rather
than compile by source to get what I need.  Compiling from source is
half the reason I *use* Linux.

Of course, that's unlikely to happen, since my current distro is RH,
and sucks.  Or did until I cleaned things up a bit.  I don't really
consider my system a "Redhat distro", because most of what I use in it
came from me, not them.  I just used them as a base system (and a
crappy base system, at that), and added or improved what I needed.
This is the reason I probably won't upgrade my distro for years -
maybe never; because what I have isn't properly Redhat anything, and
when new features come out; rather than getting a new "Redhat upgrade"
or whatever, I'll simply compile-and-install.

I avoid RPMs like the plague, and if debian were my distro I'm sure
the same thing would be true of apt-get.  "Use the source!" ;)

Micah