Re: [vox] debian question

Rod Roark wrote:

> > On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 09:08:04AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >> i'd like to update wine, but it appears i have to wait until X gets
> >> bumped up to 4.1.0 in woody.
> >
> > Or do what I did - compile and install by hand.  :)
> >
> > Micah
>
> Yeah we just had that discussion.  Pete doesn't want to
> mess up his package management.
>
> However I was just thinking... surely there's a way to
> install 4.1 into a different set of directories, so that
> 4.0 is not touched?
>
> I'd be interested to hear from anyone who tries that.

Of course there is; just set the destination dir for /usr/foo, and it
will install there.  Problem is, that's rather non-standard, and you'll
end up symlinking everything (or change anything that points to
/usr/X11R6).

--
Don Werve <donw@examen.com>
Jr. Unix System Administrator

"...a lion wants to eat an antelope's body, but the antelope has very
different plans for its body. This is not normally regarded as
competition for a resource, but logically it is hard to see why
not." - Richard Dawkins.