Re: [vox] debian question

begin: Don Werve <donw@examen.com> quote
>Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>>
>> begin: Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> quote
>
>> i could turn the source into a debianized package, but i don't want to tackle
>> something like X.  i'd do this for defendguin, but X is a bit more
>> complicated.   i know my limitations, and that's most likely beyond my
>> capability.
>
> What about 'apt-get -b source'?

thought of that.  this has the same problem as what the paragraph below
talks about -- basically, i have woody libraries.  i would be willing to bet
money that compiling 4.1.0 would require updating them.  even worse, doing
it this way wouldn't tell me which packages need to be updated (as opposed to
just taking the X package from sid which would tell me what needs to be
updated).  i'd have to *gasp* look it up on debian's website.
and i'm lazy.  8-)

and really, my days of experimenting with package managers are over.  it was
fun hosing redhat a few times.  it was a great learning experience, and left
me with a good working knowledge of "do's and don'ts" of package management.
when i switched to suse, i was perfectly happy to let rpm be the dictator on
my system.  at this point, i'd have to have a really DAMNED good reason to
mess with what my package manager thinks is on my system.  debian's dpkg is
so much better than rpm that i implicitly trust it.

i think i'll just wait until woody updates.

still waiting for rumors to come in...   ;)

pete