January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] [rasjidw@bigpond.com: Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry]

I have been using Cygwin with Xfree86 on my work laptop for over a month
now even though it is not supported on Windows XP.  I even compiled SDL
on Cygwin and have the test programs working.  It is very nice to have a
free X server for windows at work.

For those of you who want to install this, I would strongly suggest
reading ALL of the documentation fully.

Stephen

William Kendrick wrote:

> An interesting tid-bit :)
>
> Rasjid <rasjidw@bigpond.com> said on the "Simple End-User Linux"/"Education"
> mailing list:
>
> <snip>
>
>> My first addition is almost done, which is a greatly cut down version of
>> Cygwin/XFree86 (xfree86.cygwin.com).  For those of you not familiar with
>> it, Cygwin/XFree86 is a port of XFree86 to Windows using the Cygwin
>> libraries, and is fully open-source.  A full install of Cygwin/XFree86
>> is around 300MB, but provides a full Unix-like environment including an
>> XServer and windowmanger.  However, my cut down install to provide an
>> XServer only sufficient to connect to a Linux box running XDM and a font
>> server is only 5MB (less than 2MB bzip2'ed).  This allows any Windows
>> workstation to become an instant Xterm, which just runs like any other
>> program on their Windows desktop.  This can be done without even
>> installing any software on the Windows computer, as the required files
>> can be stored on the Linux box and shared using Samba.

{Snip}