Re: [vox] debian question

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin: Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> quote
> > You could update X yourself... not trivial but it comes with
> > pretty good instructions.
> >
> > Make a backup first.  :-)
>
> yeah, of course i knew that.  but it would be a supremely bad idea.  the
> last thing i want to do is trample over dpkg installed files.  i'd rather
> cut off my right arm than risk losing integrity of dpkg's database.  :)
> well, not really.  maybe the left arm, though.  :)

You might lose the integrity of your sanity, unless you're married (or
ambidextrous)...*grin*

> i could turn the source into a debianized package, but i don't want to tackle
> something like X.  i'd do this for defendguin, but X is a bit more
> complicated.   i know my limitations, and that's most likely beyond my
> capability.

What about 'apt-get -b source'?

> installing sid's X probably isn't possible without some massive other
> package installing, but even if it were possible, i'm not entirely sure i
> want to do this either.  gives me the creeps...

You don't.  I did.  Very very messy; you basically upgrade to Sid.

--
Don Werve <donw@examen.com>
Jr. Unix System Administrator

"...a lion wants to eat an antelope's body, but the antelope has very
different plans for its body. This is not normally regarded as
competition for a resource, but logically it is hard to see why
not." - Richard Dawkins.