Re: [vox] ACM article: 'Study: IT Budgets Opening Up to Linux'

Re: [vox] ACM article: 'Study: IT Budgets Opening Up to Linux'

Inroads into corporate mindshare.  An important long term concept.  Mindshare from the bottom up in corporate envirnments is how Microsoft achieved the position it currently holds.

Don't forget that market success also is important for company consulting arms such as Red Hat and VA Linux.

It's all well and good to talk about how 'someone can figure it out', but when Bob (the guy who set up the SAMBA File share/Intranet Apache/PHP/PostGRE server) is gone and the system crashes (hw, coredump, whatever) and the new guy doesn't know how to restore the PostGRE from backup needs help and needs to RESTORE IT NOW... who are you going to call?  Hire a consultant?  How do you know if that consultant knows squat?  You want to be able to call someone for assistence now!  Not the 5 days it'll take to get a consultant on board.

Without 'market share', companies won't buy support contracts, without support contracts, Linux support companies may not be able to stay in business, without the companies existance, Linux inroads into the corporate marketplace will slow down significantly.

Don't think like a tech when reading these articles, think like a manager who needs to make desicians that will keep him employeed and making house payments.  Then use these articles to make inroads into YOUR corporate envirnment.  :)

-sp