Re: [vox] Microsoft gets something right

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 10:09:21PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> Just wanted to pass on something I learned recently...
>
> I have a web hosting client who was being stymied by
> their firewall when trying to ftp up their files.
>
> Noticing that Apache comes with mod_dav, a WebDAV
> protocol server, I figured that may be a way around
> the problem since it works over HTTP.  I proceeded
> to learn more about WebDAV, set it up on the server,
> and then started looking for some DAV client software
> for the user's Win2K box.
>
> Well it turns out Win2K has DAV support built right
> in.  They call it "web folders".  A nice surprise!
>
> -- Rod

Yeah.  At my last place of employ, it was part of my job to set up a WebDAV
server environment, and write the web-based client.  Linux users could
use cadaver (a clunky, FTP-like DAV command-line DAV client), and
Windows users could use Web folders.  Very nice, I must say.

Although, they didn't get it completely right - for some reason,
certain random Windows installations wouldn't connect to my
Apache/mod_dav server.  I checked thoroughly - I wasn't getting so
much as a single packet.  Screwy.

WebDAV rocks.

Micah