Re: [vox] PacBell DSL alternatives

William Kendrick wrote:

> This is the last straw.
>
> These idiots tried hooking up DSL at our _old_ house after knowing where
> we live for months.  This is the last chance I'm giving these people.
> I've been on the phone upwards of 45mins (most of it old hold or yelling
> at the people at the other end)
>
> Should I just tell PacBell to bite me and go with Omsoft?
>
> Am I going to have the same issues crop up?  ("oh, we don't support
> linux... you'll need special windows software to use the dynamic IP...
> what version of windows do you have?"  (I told them, "hell, i dunno... 98?"))
>
> >:^(
>
> -bill!

I live in West Davis, a notorious gray zone for DSL. Sure, I went
through hell getting the installation, but did not have any problems for
nearly a year. Suddenly, then service died. Not even a dial tone. I
spent an hour on the phone trying to determine the cause and
establishing a work ticket, only to find out that the service was
canceled by PacBell for "failure to pay". My DSL is a business line paid
by my company. When the business moved, our Financial Controller
notified PacBell of the address change, twice. Since PacBell will not
centralize the account (we have ~20 accounts) and they neglected to
update their records (twice) the bill went unpaid. The voice has been
reactivated. The technician said it take 10 days to reactivate the DSL.
They want to charge $67 for reactiviating the account and will not
guarantee my original IP block. Joy.

--
Eric