Re: [vox] PacBell DSL alternatives

During my ordeal with respect to moving 2000 line feet closer to the CO, but
apparently to the other side of a fiber line (doh!), I spoke to quite a few
alternatives to PacBell.  That being said, every one of them except for
sattellite and possibly SonicNet (whom has seemed to dissapear from
existance) rely on PacBell.  Rythms, Covad and New Edge all need PacBell's
infrastructure to play nice (in other words, fiber is _bad_).

MegaPath was the best customer service to date, as far as assigning me an
account manager, who finally told me about the fiber on the line (after
OmSoft and PacBell had just said no, due to 'technical reasons').  That, and
their SDSL offerings seem to reach further (18K feet rather than 14K w/
SBC).  And up to 8 IPs (static), after filling out a form (they give you one
IP to start with and establish service is working, then assign the block
later).

<rant>
Thanks to MegaPath and their willingness to share what information they had,
Matt had enough ammo to pester the PacBell sales rep into telling us when
they're planning on outfitting the ResGate (not until December!).  Guerilla
wireless was our next alternative, but seeing as Sushi Nobu's about the only
business within our radio line-of-sight, I think we're screwed there too.

So, unless about 5 of our neighbors want to chip in and get a frame-relay
connection with 802.11b distribution to the neighborhood, two telecommuters
will be forced to share a 56K modem dialup for 4 months.  All thanks to
PacBell's bureaucracy, and the three techs who, on separate occasions,
assured us that DSL was available.  So, IMNSHO, anyone other than SBC is
better.  But maybe I'm just bitter...
</rant>

-- Geoffrey, who's keeping his SBC DSL just long enough to log into his home
boxes from LinuxWorld SF.

begin  William Kendrick quotation: