Re: [vox] PacBell DSL alternatives

At 10:22 AM 8/10/01 -0700, Debi wrote:
Previously, it had worked great.  Now, on my line converted to use ADSL, we can also use dial up as good as before, but my line that was previously used for modem still cannot be used for dial up.   PacBell did something to the wiring in our area that broke normal dial up, but enabled me to get ADSL.

Maybe they multiplexed your line.  When I worked for DCN a few years back, a large number of Dixon customers had a hard time dialing in--all starting the same day, and all with the same prefix/exchange. PB will never confirm or deny that your line is mux'd (they only guarantee voice quality/bandwidth, and save line-installation $$ by muxing), but I was able to talk to a line tech directly who confirmed these series of phones were recently mux'd; I guess they deinstalled the mux because all the customers started working later in the day.

--john

John C. Alden, jcalden@ucdavis.edu & jcalden_www@yahoo.com
Programmer-Analyst III
Dept. of Applied Science