Re:_[vox]_ACM_article:_'Study:_IT_Budgets_Opening_Up_to_Linux'

Re:_[vox]_ACM_article:_'Study:_IT_Budgets_Opening_Up_to_Linux'

Dude, I work for EDS, we are the second largest
systems integrator in the world (behind IBM). We
contract with the US Navy/Marines, many UK and
Australian govt. agencies, Fortune 50, 100, 500, and
1000 companies (Palm, Chevron, Xerox, to name but a
few...). We are talking large scale support, not "oh
we can get a couple of admins to handle that". There
is not enough linux support to go around for all these
clients, yet, though I am sure someday there will be.
We are already using Linux for some functions and for
some clients in a limited capacity, but we cannot
announce to the world "we will sell you and support a
complete linux environment worldwide 24x7, 4 hour
response support". IBM can, but they also sell
hardware and software (big revenue generators) and
have the resources available (programmers, developers)
that we don't. We only provide systems integration
support, and we can only focus on so many different
solutions. It's a matter of economies of scale. We can
get good partnerships with Compaq, SUN, and HP, that
help us provide good service and support for a good
price, and they will provide the specialized service
we may not be able to.
So, I don't really see it as a cop-out, but as a
common sense business decision. We do support Linux
when clients request it, which is becoming more
frequent. And as admins, we are more than glad to do
it as most of us are running Linux on our desktops,
and generally prefer it to other unix-type solutions.
ERic