[vox] Netboot Mac OS 8/9 on a newerG3/G4 from a Linux box ?

[vox] Netboot Mac OS 8/9 on a newerG3/G4 from a Linux box ?

Hello,

I mentioned this to Gabe (sp?) at the end of the food thing after the
presentation, but though others here might find it a fun exercise if they
have a newer Mac and want to play with MacOS and Linux.

It is possible to "netboot" (remove the hard disk and boot an OS) Mac OS 8
or 9 from a Linux box!

You obviously need a Mac OS license for the Client side, but it can still
be cool to see a Macintosh netboot Mac OS from a Linux box instead of a
Mac OS X Server. :-)

Took me a day to figure out the protocols used, a day to figure out what
Apple did the them to make them "nonstandard" and then another day to
patch ISS's dhcpd source tree for allowing a larger MMS for packaging the
return response with vendor special dhcp options. (I made a diff patch,
but another guy took over my patch as I left the code unmaintained for
about 1-2 years. No fork, just new diff patch maintainer.)

3 Days to figure out an 3+ weeks to document and put on the web. :-)

If you like the idea of netbooting a newer Blue and white series G3, any
G4, any iBook, and iMac (with newest firmware) and have a Mac OS 8.1 up to
MacOS 9.1 install CD, and a Linux box you can set it up too!

(Linux side needs patched dhcpd tree, tftpd, and the asun netatalk as well
as enough disk space for a Mac OS Disk image.)

Want more information?
http://mike.passwall.com/macnc/

A similar thing is/was possile with Windows, but I won't cover that
-its less stable. :-P

-ME