Re: [vox] Well, I now feel like an idjut.

ME wrote:
> Ports 6000-6010 are often closed with ipchain rules (2.2) or limited in
> some fashion due to the risks that can exist with X.

There are no default ipchain rules on Debian base installs, and this
machine doesn't run X, so up until about the last few hours, these ports
were unfirewalled.  Bad practice, I know, but I haven't had the time to
sit down and do a really decent deny-by-default firewall for this
machine.  This will be fixed shortly.

> Also, you may want to examine investing some time in dl and installing
> "lsof" which is very useful.

Boss informed me of that after I told him about the little fandango.
*grin*  I forgot completely that it can be used to look at sockets; I
just used it to kick people off of filesystems I was trying to unmount
who couldn't pay fcking attention to 'wall'.

--
Don Werve <donw@examen.com>
Jr. Unix System Administrator

"Fear is the mind-killer." (Frank Herbert)