Re: [vox] Well, I now feel like an idjut.

Re: [vox] Well, I now feel like an idjut.

Oh yeah do I know the feeling. Since we are telling sad tales of admin
stupidity (or at least grave absentmindedness)--last night I resized the
partitions of my harddrive. I used PowerQuest's Partition Magic for DOS.
Once I rebooted back into Linux, I noticed that swapon was barfing out
errors on system boot. I mistakenly thought I needed to run mkswap,
figuring since I had resized the swap partition. Looking at the fstab I
saw that swap was on hda5. Of course I didn't notice (until it was too
late) that the swap partition entry was somehow duplicated--hda5 was also
listed as the root partition! So that was what mkswap was screaming
about... So after running mkswap on /dev/hda5 I had the nerve to be
perplexed about commands typed at shell no longer being found.  LOL

Suffice to say that I was up until 4:00am reinitializing my server. At
least I didn't blow away my /usr and /home partitions, and it did give me
the excuse to upgrade to RedHat 7.1. It would have been nice if I had made
a backup first though... DOHH!

Funny thing though--for some reason the new kernel 2.4.3 rpm update
doesn't have support for sound cards. Strange...

[snip]

--
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net

"There is no case...there never was! It's all just a joke, a big joke!"
--Former Inspector Wollenski