Re: [vox] No DSL, no cable -- options? [amended]

Re: [vox] No DSL, no cable -- options? [amended]

There are different groups from all over the US (New York, Sebastapol, Bay
Area, Seattle, Portland) that are trying to set up free wireless DSL for
the masses. There are several groups that have set up antennas throught
the bay area and many in S.F.

One group more local to me is nocat.net. A presentation or two at DefCon
included disucsion on free wireless DSL groups and security of businesses
running wireless DSL without WEP and Shipley's War Driving talk was also
good.

There are people offering and looking to offer directional wireless
access, and even discussions on making pringles cans with some $10 of
extra supplies into a Yagi antenna you can connect to your laptop to
provide a gain for Tx and Rx.

I have considered doing this in my area as it should not cost too much to
set up a "free" WAP ($400 for a rather nice system with good antenna and
coverage, or ~$200 for a cheaper route.)

As for setting up a wired system with Cat 5 cable and 100 or 10BaseT, you
will find problems as you approch your 100 Meter limits without a repeater
to boot the signal and then the 5-4-3 rule of networking could also cause
problems for you.

Wireless can allow you to push Point to Point directional links further
distances. Fiber Optic (Dual/Single) can allow long distances too. You
will probably find the cheapest initial setup cost associated with
wireless though.

Good night,
-ME