Re: [vox] [OT] junk mail (physical, not UCE)

Re: [vox] [OT] junk mail (physical, not UCE)

begin: Brad Benedict <bradb@afes.com> quote
> > > But then they let convicted murderers
> > > out on the weekends, if they ask.  pfft.  Anyway, if more countries made
> it
> > > a felony, I bet we would see a lot less.
> >
> > i'd be willing to bet this is not quite right -- you can't let high risk
> > folks out of their cells.  there has to be more to the story to that.
> > perhaps people convicted of manslaughter?   i dunno.  there's got to be
> more
> > to the story here.
>
> Not really.  B?rd Eithun stabbed a gay man 37 times in Lillehammer, and also
> burnt a church.

snip

> When
> inmates, serving longer sentences, have done a certain amount of their time,
> they can apply to get transfered to lesser restrictive prison, so-called
> "open prison" (presupposed their behaviour indicates they will have a chance
> getting there). In these open prison you can regularly apply for leaves,
> like I do now, and it`s usually every 4-5-6th weeks.

the US prison system also does this.  when you've served most of your
sentence, depending on your behavior, you can be sent to a halfway house to
help acclimate to the outside world.

i served a prison sentence for computer hacking against at&t, sprint, bell
south, nynex, allnet and a few other telcos.

actually, they sent me straight to halfway house, so i never served "real
time".  but there were bank robbers, drug smugglers, chemists, bank fraud
people and people convicted of manslaughter there.  there was even a bomber.
not the unibomber, but he was still a bomber.  they had all served three to
god knows how many years and were in the halfway house to serve the rest of
their term (about a year.  sometimes more, sometimes less).

as long as you got a job or went to school, you were allowed to leave the
halfway house.  you were allowed, every so often, to leave the house and
enjoy a day in downtown san francisco.  regardless, everyone was allowed an
hour of free time outside to breathe fresh air.  well, this was on market and
turk, the heart of the tenderloin, so it wasn't exactly "fresh" air, but it
still felt good to see some sunlight and feel a breeze.

as far as your example, that's pretty heinous.  although sometimes a person
can literally "get away with murder".  like if there's not enough evidence to
get an assured conviction, the DA can make a deal -- guilty plea for a lesser
charge.   there's not much that can be done about this.  perhaps he was
convicted for something much less than what he did.

pete