January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] [OT] junk mail (physical, not UCE)

Re: [vox] [OT] junk mail (physical, not UCE)

as far as UCE goes...

begin: zeruch [Joseph Estevao Arruda] <z@valinux.com> quote
> There are several statutes in numerous jurisdictyions which
> *theorhetically* could be applied (i.e. implications of contract), but
> nothing that is specifically black-letter to spam/marketing lists.  The
> problem is that most of the bulk crap you get you can't even really
> respond to, because if you do, they don't actually remove you but rather
> move you to a listy of people who have active working accounts that can
> be spammed again.

i respond to each and every single piece of spam, with absolutely no
exception.  and i'm relentless.  using nslookup, whois and traceroute, i send
complaints to loads and loads of people, including 2 or 3 sites upstream from
the place that sent the spam, dns servers, noc's, the offending host and
every host which obviously belongs to the same domain that gets listed with
traceroute.  it's kind of the "this car is insured by smith and wesson" type
of response.

i wish rbl didn't discourage sending sites to be included in the blacklist.
i've read their submission thoroughly.  the trouble is, most (as in over 99%)
simply don't reply, other than an autoreply.  and despite what rbl says,
i'm not about to call taiwan to complain about spam.  :)   they make it sound
like they don't respond to "here's a piece of spam, i contacted everyone i
can think of but nobody replied".

> I just have a growing number of filters...including entire blocks on .es
> % .kr

haven't had much trouble from .es.  most of my spam is coming from .tw and
.kr these days.  i've actually noticed that spam that originates from within
the US has dropped significantly from last year.

pete