Re: [vox] LJ Magazine Poll

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 12:41:22PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin: William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> quote
> >
> > Well, it's written using libSDL, so it's easily portable to Windows
> > (and Mac, and...)
>
> bill, i would dearly love to see a windowed defendguin on a win95 and mac
> desktop.  do you have any screen shots?
>
> have you actually seen (or heard) of anyone playing defendguin on windows and
> mac?

Did I reply to this yet?  My inbox gets so full sometime. :)

I don't know offhand of anyone running Defendguin on a Win95 box, but
it should just be a matter of recompiling it under Windows
(or better yet, cross-compiling it under Linux)

<snip>
> between everyone who replied, we sounded like we have everything we need to
> donate a linux machine.  now someone just has to coordinate...

Did this ever happen? :)

<snip>
> it's somewhat of a pig (sorry to say, but you know how much i love that
> game).  i've noticed it slow down on a 233 PII w. a voodoo3.  there's got to
> be a way to speed it up.  i wonder if using opengl primitives would speed
> things up.  that way, people who have voodoo, nvidia and matrox boards would
> have hardware acceleration at their fingertips.  right before i signed off
> the sdl mailing list, sam announced opengl support for libsdl.

It'd be nifty in libSDL and other libs attached to it did this.
I'm sure there's work going on.

> there's so much action, i guess you have to redraw the entire screen on each
> pass in the event loop?

Totally. :)  And I try to push 30 or 50 or 60 fps. ;)

> if you ever want to work on it again, maybe using gprof to see which
> functions ought to be looked at more closely would be helpful?

That'd be nice.

<snip>
> ps- bill, did you know you're part of the debian official distribution?

I think I did.  Can't wait to Woody stablizes! >:^)